Monday, February 18, 2013

Revival Run

Busy weeks have a way of turning bad for me. Last week was one of them. I pride myself as a multi-tasker, but eventually the stress of "being everywhere, pleasing everyone" can send me in a tailspin.  While I'm sort of a busy-bee, I also need my down-time to reload.... time for my body, but more importantly, my mind to relax and prioritize.

I was feeling really down over the weekend. My interval run got skipped during the week and my long run didn't happen. I managed to get in some quality miles, but certainly not what the plan called for. It's frustrating and I stewed over it all weekend. This is when running addiction becomes unhealthy for me. I easily turn to crap food to make me feel better, which in fact, does just the opposite. I'm on edge and short with my family. I was not pleasant to be around and my motivation was in the toilet.

By Sunday evening, I was bursting at the seams. Since I had now finished all the chocolate from my kids' valentine boxes, there was only one choice now... RUN to the store for more. I quickly laced up and stepped out the door before my mind could make another excuse. It was chilly (mostly because of the wind), but the bright sun was in its last hour.  I tried to keep the pace easy, but built-up stress makes that hard to do. My heart takes over and I have a way of pounding everything out onto the pavement. Without even a glance at the watch, I could feel the demanding pace, but my legs seemed to be on autopilot. I marched up the hills and kept turning down streets for more. I heard the beeps telling me miles were done, and knew this run was turning into more than the "easy 3" I told myself when I left the house.

The longer I ran, the higher my energy level soared.
The more labored my breathing, the more I could breathe again.
Just when I felt normal again, I turned the corner and the magnificent sunset took my breath away...

I literally stopped in my tracks. It was a like a slap in the face... a "wake the eff up and look at this glorious life" moment. Here I was feeling all depressed over what?!
Life is healthy.
Life is good.
I am okay.
The purpose of this run was complete.
I turned towards home and returned a new woman.

Sometimes revival can be just that simple for me... run until I reach the AH-HA moment. It may take a week for it to happen, but when it does, everything just falls back together.


•  •  •


LAST WEEK...
Not as bad as my mind was playing it out... I did "work" every day. 
5 Spinning classes, 4 Runs, 3 Core workouts
YTD Run Miles: 207

THIS WEEK'S PLAN...
Mon - Run Easy 3, Spinning, Core class
Tues - Spinning, Core class
Wed - Run Intervals: 6x800
Thurs - Swim
Fri - Run Tempo 8
Sat - Spinning
Sun - Run Long - 13 (sweet taper!)

16 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great run! Sometimes it does take nature to put it all into perspective. Love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see similarities here...as someone new to running (6 months in) - I find that when my life and time are not my own due to life's chores and demands - I get very negative if I can't find the time to run. To have my "me" time. And then when I finally get out the door to go, I come back realizing how lucky I am that it only takes a run to bring me back to center. Great post - thank you for sharing! www.bodymadebetter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the reason that I love your blog!! You are so "normal" I can so relate to everything you just said. Thank you for being so honest and telling it just how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you! Thanks for the pictures... I miss Midwestern winter sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl I would take that bad week anytime. So happy you were able to catch your breath and regroup. You are fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome reminder. I think we all have those boohoo days when we have to remind ourselves to just go!
    Beautiful pics.. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, those runs can help fix everything. You had a great workout week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is why they say running is cheaper than therapy. When I'm super stressed out I always run it out and it makes everything better, even if only for a few minutes. You got in some gorgeous photos on your run, too! I hope things calm down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful run!!! And you are one hard working lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just absolutely love reading your posts...
    Gorgeous run and way to get out there and make the magic happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous sunset! It's amazing how a run can change our perspective so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. p.s - Is that an app that displays the bar graph like that? If so can you share the name of it?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback and comments!