Sunday, August 26, 2012

Race Recap: Hanna City Hustle 5K

I felt like I haven't given the 5k a fair shot this year. I don't run many to start with, and the three I ran this summer had extraordinary circumstances (one scorching hot, another a fun run, and the third part of a triathlon). I PR'ed each one, but was left wondering what was possible under better circumstances. I pride myself on endurance, but am naturally curious to see what I'm capable with speed too.

So last week I signed up for a small town race just miles from my house. My goal was simple... to close out the summer with a solid attempt at speed. Leave it all on the course and finish with a new 5k time that would be difficult for me to beat in the future. Ultimately, I really wanted to get under the 26 minute mark.

The Hanna City Hustle turned out to be the perfect race for me. It was pure and simple running. No congestion. No frills. Easy in and easy out.

One of the mistakes I make in short distances races is the failure to warmup appropriately. This time, I decided to ride my bike to the race, which provided a great 7.5 mile ride. My muscles warmed up nicely, which allowed for a great stretch before the race began. It was a beautiful morning in the low 70's and I was ready to run.

My hubby and I lined up with maybe 150 other runners. With a simple 1-2-3, we were off and running. Already warmed up, I probably started off down the opening stretch a little too fast. By time I saw my parents and kids a half mile in, I settled into a comfortably hard pace. At mile one, a guy called out my first split, a 7:50. I glanced at my watch to see it was right. Yes! Wowza!


To keep myself driving, I continually set targets ahead of me. There was an older guy running strong ahead and step by step, I caught up to him. When we hit a slight downhill, I used it to soar ahead. The race course was a nice stroll through neighborhoods and then we hit an in/out stretch on a country road. It was fun to see the leaders flying past... a female and male side by side. (The chick ended up winning the whole shabang!)  Shortly after them, I saw fellow Sole Sister Crystal. She's an impressively fast runner, but more amazing is her support of other runners. She called out to me, "Jess you're doing great. You're fourth female! Catch her - You can do it!"  Sure enough, I counted one more female between Crystal and I before the turnaround. She was a good 1/8 mile ahead of me though. I picked up the pace and slowly closed the gap over the next mile.


On the way back to the finish, we weaved once again through the neighborhoods. There were a couple mild inclines that began to pinch my energy. I was breathing so hard trying to push the last mile. I wondered how off the charts my heart rate must be at that moment! As the course turned one final corner, we had a nice long straightway to sprint out the finish. I've train myself to have an end kick no matter how tired I am, but unfortunately the female in front of me also had a strong finish, so I simply couldn't catch her.  As I came across the finish, I was shocked when he called out 24:48. Say what?!? I stared at my watch... Holy crap! Forget the 25's... I just soared into the 24's. I was absolutely ecstatic with that time.

After the 5k was done, my kiddos ran the kids race. Little Girl is super competitive and sprinted out a big finish.  Big Girl just smiled and waved as she ran. It makes me laugh how they are complete opposites.

Afterward we relaxed at the Pancake/Sausage Breakfast that was included in the race entry. It was a beautiful morning to sit in the grass, eat yummy pancakes and talk with other runners. I grew up in a small town so I enjoyed this comfy casual setting in Hanna City.


As the awards were called out, I was thrilled to win my first 1st place age group medal! And so did my friend Crystal!


Official Time: 
24:48 (7:59 pace)
#4 out of 51 females
1st place in my age group F35-39

26 comments:

  1. Awesome job!!! Very good time!!! Erica
    ericasrunningjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sub 25!!!! Yeah, girl! That is such a huge accomplishment. Congrats on the AG medal too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congrats on the first of many age group awards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, you are amazing! Going out with a shabang is right! Congratulations on a new AWESOME PR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome run! That's a heckuva PR and an awesome performance! You should be really proud of yourself. :) Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome PR! It's great that your kids are following in your running shoes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that's awesome!! Great running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crud that is so fast. Crazy good run and congrats on the age group medal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a super hero! I'm hoping for a 5k PR next time I do one...I'll be ecstatic if I hit 28 minutes though! I figure now that I'm actually following a training plan for a half marathon, I should see some improvement across the board, right? I'm sure hoping. Way to rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Way to kick some serious 5K butt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Smokes Girl!! You did AWESOME!! Blew them away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing your continued progress. Absolute sign of your constant dedication. Great job, Tough Chik!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!! ISn't it amazing how maathon training makes us faster? I have the fastest time after a marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy crap Jess! That's amazing!!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous race Jess......now you will have to run more 5k's for an attempt at the 23's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah way to go!!! This makes me want to get my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah Jess your awesome!!! We're going to kill the IVS 1/2 relay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg!!! That was above and beyond your goal!!! I would kill to get my 5k time below 25!!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is AMAZING! I like your strategy of setting targets and running to them! I do that and it really helps! I think we'll be reading a lot more about your PR's in upcoming races at this rate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowzers! That is one awesome run! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to crush your PR! Thank god for your extra motivation this race. I think I'm going to try to pick someone at my next 5K race to keep up with as motivation. I'm hoping to get under 30. :) Keep inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback and comments!