Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Joyful to Run

I have a renewed appreciation for running this week. After being down with an pulled calf muscle last week, I'm on the run once again!!  I gave it a test jog on Sunday with an easy 3 miles.  While the muscle was a little sore, I was happy to know this injury was on the mend.

With the kids out of school for Columbus Day, I took them to the Forest Park Nature Reserve.  We hiked 2 miles through the beautiful trails that wind up and down through the woods.  I absolutely reveled in the beauty of autumn and thankful for being able to just walk again.


It felt so good that I snuck out for a 3 mile run that afternoon.


And this morning, I met up with with two of my BFF's for a gorgeous run along the Peoria Riverfront at the crack of dawn.  I just love running alongside water.  We went 4 miles, conquered the bridge and chatted away the entire time.  {all smiles}



I'm still feeling tenderness of the muscle, but the pain is gone.  My pace is slower and my stride is shorter... it's the toekick/pushoff that hurts.  I've been icing the muscle twice a day, always immediately after any activity, plus a heating pad at night.  I've also been working the calf with a foam roller and massaging with Absordine.  Every time I get a sore muscle this is the routine I follow.  So far, it's worked well for me.

My time goal for the Indianapolis half-marathon (Nov. 5) is out the window, but that's okay.  Today, I'm just thankful to be able to RUN.  The joy is back in my life...




To come later this week... photo display of all the prizes for
The Cupcake Classic virtual run Oct. 17-23.  
Are you signed up yet??  JUST DO IT... here.

9 comments:

  1. so glad you are feeling better and you got to do that awesome nature hike /w the fam :D who cares if your pace is slower - you're running :) YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome that you got some mojo back! Laying off is the toughest medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to get out and do a easy run. Take care of that calf girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh! so happy to hear that your calf is doing better! and that you got some awesome runs in! love that joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very happy to read that you are able to run and feeling better!!! Love the sunrise/bridge pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pics. The forest in autumn is one of my favorite places to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are on the mend! It is so hard not to be able to run, especially in this beautiful fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you were able to get out there! I spy an Oshkosh 1/2 marathon shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and your family are so adorable.
    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback and comments!