Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Fun Facts

It's a rest day today... and I'm incredibly antsy and cranky without exercise.  (Hubby has been home all day and will attest to that!)  So I entertain myself with needless-to-know trivia information.  Here's a little "Did You Know?" marathon fun for a Friday afternoon...

NOTHING AVERAGE ABOUT A MARATHON!
The average marathon time for women is 4:52:31
(so goal for the fall marathon is to be faster than this!)
Average time for men is 4:24:17
(okay wait... I want to beat the men!)

GO GIRL.
Women account for 40.4% of marathon finishers, 
which has grown almost 3% points in the last decade.

NEED FOR SPEED.
The fastest age group for women is 35-39 with avg marathon time of 4:46:10.  
However, the 25-29 year olds quickly follow and represent the largest number of women runners. 
For men, the fastest age group is 40-44 year olds, who are also the largest group overall.

FINISH IT.
Only 20% of women finish a marathon in under 4 hours.  (Men 40%)
Between 4 and 5 hours seems average with 43% of women finishing in that time range. (Men 38%)
Slow and steady wins the race... 37% of women finish in 5+ hours.  (Men 22%) 

** Above statistics taken from marathonguide.com 2009 US annual marathon report.

In 2011, there are close to half a million people who will finish a marathon in the United States!

Marathon = 26.2 miles = 138,435 feet = 1,661,220 inches!



Don't forget to enter my KIDS YOGA GIVEAWAY!

5 comments:

  1. Love these! I was meaning to figure the feet in a mary, since my softball days had me only running 60feet to each base!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ok so maybe I am above average.. that just made my day!!!!!! LOVE your purple page!! I have zero idea how to do any of this technical stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the fun facts. I am going to have to run alittle faster to be in that 20%. OH well I am always up for a challenge. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool joke! Ha, Ha, Ha! I guess I am the second chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting facts! And I just posted that same cartoon on my page! :)

    Sarah
    TheWeatheredWord.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback and comments!