Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Home Stretch

There is a swirl of excitement going on in bloggyland, daily mile, or wherever you socialize your running.  Almost everyone is tapering, or in the final phase of their training programs.  I get so jacked up reading everyone's posts, final playlists, outfit considerations and travel plans.  The time is near folks!

For me, it's now less than 7 days until the Oshkosh Half-Marathon... So today was my last "long run," but I prefer to call it a "confidence run."  I set out for 8 miles, but instead did 9.  Today, I also wanted to test out techy-toys for raceday.  I decided to race without my iPhone (just not "comfy" with it yet), and resort back to my tiny ipod shuffle.  I also picked up a cute sport watch to track my splits.


My goal today was to run within ten seconds of my goal race pace (9:09).  The beginning miles were right on cue...  9:09, 9:17, 9:14, 9:13.  Then I hit the turnaround point at 4.5 mile mark.  I was now running into the wind, with the first mile all uphill.  My pace slowed ridiculously.  My legs were struggled up the long ascend.  When I finally hit even surface again, I got side aches.  (What?  I haven't gotten those in a long time?!  Any ideas why now?)  To top things off, the sun poked through and heated things up considerably... and I was under-hydrated.  So I averaged a 10:09 pace on the way back.  Not exactly the confidence run I wanted, but some lessons learned.

The only real spurt I had in the final mile was a fascinating dream/desire for an ice cold soda. Seriously?!  Weird, but straight to the gas station I went and bought a big Diet Coke and water.  I was parched!

I was exhausted from the run today... and yet still felt pretty good about it.  I'm ready, confident and excited to take on the flat Oshkosh course... I'm just gonna leave it all out there and pray for the best!

Me post-run... Do I look exhausted or what?!?
Another lesson learned today... 
Trade the headband for a hat during afternoon runs.  
I got a nice sunburn line across my forehead today!!  


WHEN'S YOUR NEXT RACE?  
Please comment here as I'd like to give you a shout-out for good luck when your race date arrives!



19 comments:

  1. May 29! I'm not in the final stretch yet, but I'm getting nervous, as it's my first half. Eek! I haven't even considered an outfit yet. In my city, we could get a huge dump of snow or it could be warm and sunny. Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Race day adrenaline is going to help you get to the magical 9:09. My half is on May 1.
    Good luck at OshKosh. You are going to do fab u lous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck as OshKosh! Tomorrow is my 5K. June 25th is my first half for the season. I can't wait. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. May 1 here also!

    I had the same kind of run. Weather was supposed to be cool and overcast. Lies. Sunny and a jillion degrees. I ended up under hydrated and parched!

    Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your watch!!! It is so pink!!! You are going to do awesome on your Half! I cannot wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Races are sooo exciting!! :) My next one is a 10k on May 1st (seems to be a popular race day!)!!

    You are going to rock that half!!! Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when all these Spring races roll around. So exciting. My next race is this Saturday. It's my "A" half for the year (unless of course I blow up. then I will find another "A" race).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my first 5k next week, I so excited and nervous. I can't wait to see how you do in your half, it will be epic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, what an incredible run...I loved the 5K yesterday and think I almost built enough confidence for a half??! Hmm, but I'm still completely freaked and scared about signing up for one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Luck on the OSHKOSH half race. You will Rock it. My nedt race is June 4 it is a 20k. You might have heard about it Jess. I live in Iowa it is the Dam to Dam. Did it last year for the first time it was alot of fun. So if you want to run a race in Iowa that would be a great one. Plus the party afterwards is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Spring racing season is upon us, so exciting! I'm racing Boston on 4/18, can't wait!

    I'm sure you will do great in Oshkosh, good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Run!! You are gonna do great at the Oshkosh!! I am running The Jelly Bean of course and then the Long Island Half Marathon May 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got sunburnt on my run yesterday too! I didn't have a headband or hat on and my forehead got burnt! Great run! My next race is a 5k at the end of the month, I'm trying to break that 30 min barrier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great final long training run before Oshkosh next week, even if there was wind.

    My next race? I'll be up at the Oshkosh Half Marathon as well! Maybe I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You will rock your race!! You've worked so hard!

    Boston Marathon here I come!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did great, my next race is next Sunday - it will be my first 10K race - should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just raced an 8K today.. marathon in 20 days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go! You'll be great at Oshkosh.

    My next race isn't until May 12, but I'm doing a couple virtual races beforehand, including yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome job! It's nice to have a race so close at hand!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback and comments!